Friday, January 11, 2013

Wayne's World (1992)


WHO: Penelope Spheeris directed this.

WHAT: Remember when you liked Mike Myers? Remember when you remembered Dana Carvey? Maybe this is a stretch. I'm not going to argue for Wayne's World as some kind of cinematic masterpiece, but it certainly is a significant piece of the U.S. cultural landscape over the past 20+ years, and deserves to be seen on a big screen with a bunch of Wayne & Garth fans dressed in Aurora, Illinois fashions, enjoying every camera aside, ironic product placement, guitar solo, and false ending.

WHERE/WHEN: At the Castro Theatre at 7:30 PM

WHY: Not?

HOW: Part of a MiDNiTES FOR MANiACS all-35mm triple-bill including Step Brothers and Freddie Got Fingered.

3 comments:

  1. You're coming on like gangbusters, with a different movie every day! I saw Wayne's at the good old Red Vic and Freddie also in the Haight but projected on a huge sheet in a friend's apartment (which seems proper for its cheesiness) I'm doing the highbrow thing today and
    going to Amour

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Every day" is my aim! Thanks for all the comments so far. How was Amour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is far from Wayne's World but am still processing my thoughts about the new Haneke, and his work in general. I admired the skill with which the subject (which hits close to home for me and others in my age bracket) was approached. But I felt cheated that he had gone out of his way to avoid an
    emotional catharsis.

    ReplyDelete