Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Breaking The Waves (1996)

WHO: Emily Watson launched her film acting career in this.

WHAT: Whenever I think of this film I think of my friend Rob Blackwelder, who once told me he considered it the best film he ever saw in his days of being a critic. I've been meaning to rewatch it (haven't seen it since it first was released) but haven't yet done so. Rob's review is still online.

WHERE/WHEN: Tonight only at the Castro Theatre at 8:40.

WHY: Talking about why tonight's double-bill of Breaking The Waves and Véréna Paravel and Lucien Castaing-Taylor's Leviathan is a brilliant bit of counter-intuitive, yet harmonious, programming, is kind of like over-explaining a joke. So I'll refrain. But at any rate, it's much appreciated, especially since this will mark the first big-screen showing of Leviathan since the San Francisco International Film Festival last Spring, and that the screen will be considerably bigger.

HOW: Breaking The Waves screens from a 35mm print, and Leviathan screens (as it was shot) digitally.

No comments:

Post a Comment